Monday, October 6, 2008

Musings on Wiener Werkstratte


As a graphic artist, i am constantly searching for inspiration. While at WSU I lurked around the library and hit upon the wonderful crew that made up Wiener Werkstratte - among their number were Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt and Oskar Kokoschka. I fell in love with a stylized monkey by Josef von Diveky and made a wood cut based on the design. I have always thought it would make an excellent wallpaper border and i printed it on my press in black on saffron japanese paper. My poor plate is pretty degraded because i used it so often - but here is where the handy dandy computer comes in. I was able to scan my image and embellish to my heart's content.
It would have been heaven to be part of Wiener Werkstratte or even of William Morris et al. Both, had tentacles in book making, commercial art - post cards wallpaper, bookmarks, as well as textiles and fashion and ceramics. WW was a bit grittier and provocatively sexual, whereas WM was all virginal - Knights, dragons - but those very sexual floral thingies (hmmmm). Anyway - check out the work of both of these design power houses - you will love them.

No comments: